Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Thoughts on Writing Assignment 2

Here is my draft for writing assignment two. Note: THIS IS A DRAFT! That's what the assignment called for, right? I can't revise it until I get some feedback. :) I think I would maybe include some pictures in this essay, but I'm not really sure. I think it might disrupt the flow. I don't know. See what you think.

I had an interesting time writing this assignment. I must admit, I was nervous. I wasn't sure if I was staying on topic. I wanted to take a more creative approach and look at the assignment from kind of a different perspective instead of a report on literacy in my everyday life. I think it kind of became a blend of WA 1 and WA 2. Since I am not being graded on this as a 101 student, I took the chance, but I think I would have played it more safely if I were actually in 101. I'm one of those students who are terrified of grades. I want to do whatever I think will get me that "A," and I'll play it safe instead of taking chances. Of course that makes for boring, generic essays. There are so many questions in the writing prompt, that that "A" student in my head was saying, "make sure you clearly address all of these in a nice little essay," so it was a struggle for me to go out on a limb a little more, even though I am not getting graded on it.

I must admit that I was also worried about grammar. I have issues with commas, people. It's embarrassing. I'm in graduate school. I feel like I should always know where to put a comma and where not to, but I don't. I've read grammar book after grammar book, but when I write, I still find myself "hmm"ing. That's why I appreciate it when teachers correct my mistakes. It is the only way I am going to learn at this point. I was so nervous about my grammar that it inhibited my writing.

I did find it refreshing to write about myself. At least it is something I know about. It didn't take hours of research in the library, and it didn't require me to create totally new characters and fictional plot lines. That made writing it easier.

Let me know what you think. I will post it in the next blog.

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading this again, after our conversation in class last week, and yeah. I see it as a WA2. I'd have required you to put the clock into the paper, even if stapled to the back, and I want some images, but you're telling how literacy functions in your life. Even if you give a little history, too.

    You're so literacy oriented you dream in text, don't you?

    Just teasting! Great essay, A++ from me!

    ReplyDelete